Everything you should know about Transitions lenses
Your prescription eyeglasses provide you with the clearest vision possible in your daily life, but may not offer all the eye health protection you need in every environment. You can easily feel discomfort when you are out under the sun despite wearing your glasses. This is because of the constant exposure to UV rays, brightness, and glare outside. In this case, you need lenses that have sun and UV light protection. Sunglasses tend to be the obvious choice in this scenario, as long as they provide UV protection, but are they prescription sunglasses? Even if they are, is it really that convenient to be switching between your eyeglasses and sunglasses?
Transitions lenses provide a solution and give you the ability to wear the same glasses in all situations and environments. Whenever you are going back and forth between the indoors and outdoors, your Transitions lenses provide you with clear vision indoors and the protection you need under changing light conditions. At Kodak Lens Vision Centres, we provide a variety of Transitions lenses that you can choose from including Transitions Signature GEN 8, Transitions XTRActive, Transitions XTRActive Polarized, and ACUVUE Oasys contact lenses with Transitions. These innovations are a hassle-free visual solution to getting clear and comfortable vision at all times, not to mention the latest technology available for your comfort.
If Transitions lenses sound like the solution you have been waiting for, we recommend booking an eye exam to make sure your eyeglasses prescription is up to date. We can also discuss all the sun protection solutions and specifically Transitions lenses we recommend.
What are Transitions lenses?
Transitions lenses are adaptive lenses that darken when exposed to sunlight to block out harmful UVA and UVB rays. The lenses return back to clear when used indoors. These lenses adapt automatically to changing lighting conditions thereby providing the wearer with the needed level of UV protection at all times¹. Transitions Signature GEN 8 are the latest generation of Transitions lens technology.
How are Transitions lenses made?
Transitions lenses are made with a special photochromic material that gets activated by ultraviolet radiation in sunlight to darken the lenses. This material includes silver chloride, copper chloride, and chemical compounds similar to those used in the development of photographic film. Silver chloride contains molecules that gain an electron when exposed to ultraviolet light and then become a silver metal that is able to absorb visible light and turn darker in the process. Transitions lenses may also have an anti-reflective coating that helps enhance their performance².
Transitions products we offer
We dispense a variety of Transitions lenses with unique features that offer protection to your eyes at all times. Here are our top Transitions solutions and how they can provide comfort to your eyes under changing lighting conditions.
1. Transitions Signature GEN 8
This is the perfect lens for everyday life. It is also the clearest and fastest lens we carry. Transitions Signature GEN 8 darkens within seconds outdoors and returns to clear immediately when you get indoors. Check out our other blog post to learn more.
- Transitions Signature GEN 8 blocks 100% UVA and UVB rays.
- It also filters blue-violet light so that your eyes are comfortable whether you are indoors, outdoors or working with a screen.
- Our Transitions Signature GEN 8 comes in seven colors including sapphire, amethyst, amber, emerald, grey, brown and graphite green.
- Transitions Signature GEN 8 provides your eyes with a better vision experience and protection from bright lights.
2. Transitions XTRActive new generation
These lenses are designed for wearers who are very light-sensitive and those who are frequently exposed to bright light. Transitions XTRActive new generation lenses are specially designed using powerful dyes and the latest nano-composite matrix to provide the best extra darkness and the best extra light protection.
- Transitions XTRActive lenses block out 100% UVA and UVB, and have the best blue-violet light protection.
- They have up to 35% faster fadeback and are clear indoors with a hint of protective tint.
- These lenses are darkest in hot temperatures and can activate in a car despite the UV-protected windows so that you are able to use them while driving.
- Transitions XTRActive lenses provide clarity of vision allowing the wearer to see their environment quickly and precisely.
Transitions XTRActive lenses come in three colors including grey, brown and graphite green. They come in five style mirrors including style mirrors silver, style mirrors flash gold, style mirrors blue green, style mirrors blue violet and style mirrors copper, allowing you to personalize your lenses (subject to availability and lens index material).
3. Transitions XTRActive Polarized
Our Transitions XTRActive Polarized lens is the only photochromic polarized lens and the best currently available. This lens is for wearers who are frequently exposed to bright light and reflective glare.
- They provide sharper vision and larger outdoor views allowing you to see vivid colours through their dynamic polarization.
- Transitions XTRActive Polarized lenses block out 100% of UVA and UVB rays thereby protecting your eyes from the sun.
- They also provide the best blue-violet light protection indoors and have up to 90% polarization efficiency.
These extra dark and polarized lenses are able to activate in the car and have up to 2x faster fade back returning to clear when you are indoors. Transitions XTRActive Polarized lenses come in grey color and a variety of index lens materials such as CR39, poly, trivex and hi-index.
4. ACUVUE Oasys with Transitions
ACUVUE OASYS are unique Transitions contact lenses with superior Transitions photochromic technology that is formulated to instantly activate, thereby providing you with a revolutionary contact lens experience.
- These lenses help your vision recover from bright light within 5 seconds.
- They are designed to reduce the stressful impact that light can have on your eyes.
- ACUVUE OASYS with Transitions offers the highest level of UV protection in contact lenses and filters blue-violet light to provide maximum protection to your eyes.
- It also reduces halos and starbursts by up to 28% and provides crisp clear vision at night.
- ACUVUE OASYS with Transitions can also be worn with non-prescription sunglasses to get complete sun protection.
- ACUVUE OASYS with Transitions was recognized by TIME as one of their BEST Inventions of 2018³.
A first-of-its-kind contact lens that is able to adapt from clear to dark and back while balancing the amount of indoor and outdoor light entering the eyes. When you’re outdoors, the lens activation continues to change in response to light so that it’s not always at its darkest state. Check out our other blog post to learn more.
Transitions lenses have superior photochromic lens technology that offers you convenience alongside clear and comfortable vision. They remove the need to use multiple eyeglasses and protect your eyes from harmful radiation. Transitions Signature GEN 8 blocks at least 20% of harmful blue light indoors and over 87% of harmful blue light outdoors. Transitions Signature lenses style colors, on the other hand, block over 75% outdoors. These lenses are the perfect companion for all outdoor activities in which you’ll want to have the clearest vision possible. Not only Transitions lenses are useful, but can be very stylish depending on the frame, mirror or colour option you choose.
The first step to knowing whether Transition lenses are right for you is to book a consultation with us and get a comprehensive eye exam. Our Optometrist and team will help you determine which of these specialty lenses is right for you and what benefits you can receive from them, such as the extra protection against glare. Reach out to us today to begin your journey towards a more comfortable vision at all times!