ALL ABOUT BLUE LIGHT AND UV PROTECTION
Every day, we are exposed to Ultraviolet (UV) and high energy visible (HEV) blue light from multiple sources: the sun, indoor lighting and electronic devices such as smartphones and computer screens.
Invisible UV light contributes to the formation of cataracts and HEV light can cause harm to the retina, the most vulnerable tissue of the eye, accelerating the risk and development of Age-related Macular Degeneration (AMD)*. There has been multiple studies and no proven scientific research data on humans, but any over exposure can affect our bodies over our life time. The information provided is for your knowledge to allow you to make the best decisions that will improve your quality of life.
If you don’t feel the need to protect yourself from UV and HEV blue light, please see tips below.
Tips from the American Academy of Ophthalmology to help with eye fatigue, dryness and eye strain:
- Sit about 63 centimetres (arm’s length) from the computer screen. Position the screen so you are gazing slightly downward.
- Reduce screen glare by using a matte screen filter if needed.
- Take regular breaks using the “20-20-20” rule: every 20 minutes, shift your eyes to look at an object at least 20 feet (six metres) away for at least 20 seconds.
- When your eyes feel dry, use artificial tears to refresh them.
- Adjust room lighting and try increasing the screen contrast to reduce eye strain.
- If you wear contact lenses, give your eyes a break by wearing glasses.
If you do feel the need to fully protect yourself: The ideal pair for work, school or leisure to protect your eyes from UV & HEV light
Whether working on a computer or tablet, reading a book or an e-reader, performing the everyday tasks that make up your day, under LED lights or outdoors, CHOICE BluSelect lenses block 100% of UV light and filter HEV blue light to protect your eyes from the harmful effects of the blue-violet light spectrum. How? The lens material feature works on a principle of absorption and has embedded protection that is built into the lens to reduce harmful blue light exposure.
CHOICE BluSelect lenses are available in a wide range of prescription and non-prescription lens options, including single vision, office and progressive lenses. They are also available in regular plastic and high impact lens materials, and in thinner high index lenses, to suit your individual prescription, frame choices and lifestyle requirements.
What is Blue Light?
High Energy Visible (HEV) light is the portion of the visible light spectrum between 380 and 500 nm. The shorter wavelengths are the highest energy, which are most harmful part of the spectrum. As wavelengths, get longer, the light decreases in intensity, and the Lower Energy Visible (LEV) light provides essential benefits.
Negative Effects of HEV light
- Digital eye strain
- Melatonin Suppression / sleeping disorders*
- Increased risk of heart disease, obesity, diabetes and certain types of cancer*
- Increased risk of retinal damage and AMD*
Beneficial Effects of LEV light
- Improved memory and cognitive functions
- Helps regulate circadian rhythm
- Elevates moods and boosts alertness
The latest research has shown that blocking UV and HEV light is critical for protecting eyes against cataracts and age-related macular generation.*
The Importance of Blocking HEV Light
Shorter wavelength light of 380 to 420 nm is especially harmful for young people under 20 years old, because they have lower amounts of protective pigment in their eyes. The risk is also much greater for patients that have had cataract removal surgery.
CHOICE BluSelect lenses block the high energy and most harmful HEV blue-violet light, while allowing beneficial LEV light transmission. These lenses are virtually clear, with blue light filtering molecules embedded in the lens material providing effective protection while avoiding the high reflectance, a common problem with blue light coatings.
Learn The Facts
- Blue light can harm eyes. Digital eye strain causes blurry vision, difficulty focusing, dry and irritated eyes, headaches, neck and back pain.
- Blue light penetrates deeper into the eye than other light. This can contribute to age-related macular degeneration, which can lead to vision loss*.
- Over-exposure to blue light at night time can disrupt natural sleep rhythm. Blue light can inhibit the release of the sleep-promoting hormone melatonin. Blue light coming from the sun during day-time promotes the awake cycle.*
- Kids are at higher risk. Unlike adults who have fully developed eyes, kids have less natural protection. Kids have larger pupils which permit more light to enter the eye. They also have shorter arms and hold devices closer, which causes greater exposure.
- 9 out of 10 people use digital devices for two or more hours each day.
- 65% of people experience digital eye strain.
- 1 in 3 people who are aware of the potential damage don’t do anything to limit their exposure to blue light.
- 65% of parents report that their children (under the age of 18) spend 2 or more hours on digital devices on a daily basis.
- More than 3 out of 4 parents are somewhat or very concerned about the impact of digital devices on children’s developing eyes.
Video: BluSelect Lenses Available at Kodak Lens Vision Centres
Premium Anti-Reflective Coatings with UV protection
Our premium Anti-Reflective Coatings, Kodak Clean ‘N’ Clear UV and Deluxe AR UV Satin, have features that provide enhanced UV protection. The anti-glare coatings offer 25x more UV protection than going without eyewear. This premium coating is placed on the front and back of the lens to give you that extra protection your eyes need. UV exposure to the eyes can be damaging and having extra protection will help your over eye health over time. Click Here to learn more about E-SPF
*HEALTH CANADA NOTICE: Correlation of high energy blue light and the following diseases and disorders: retinal damage/degeneration/retinal degenerative disease, macular degeneration/age related macular degeneration (AMD), increased risk of certain types of cancers, heart disease, obesity and diabetes, glaucoma, permanent damage to eyesight, cataracts, sleep disorders, eye strain, and loss/reduction of vision has not been completely scientifically proven. Since many factors can cause these conditions, consumer caution is advised. We would like to properly advise and provide our patients with the most recent optical technology advancements by offering visual solutions to improve your overall visual well being. With visual comfort and high energy blue light protection in mind, the information we provide is to help you make the best choice for your eyes.